Saturday, June 9, 2012

The World Wide Web at Work for Jesus

A couple of nights ago my Chacos (sandles) somehow sparked a conversation with Ann about Texas A&M, which then somehow lead to Breakaway, and then to Passion. I began sharing with her the opportunities we have in America to be led in worship and through messages by many different speakers. I started showing her videos to help explain what it is like and she was shocked at how much was available online. I showed her where to find videos, podcasts, and other resources. It came to me that some of you might not know what is available out there on the world wide web and I want to show you how much we have the chance to learn from and be challenged by!

This was the video I showed Ann to explain Breakaway. It is every Tuesday night in College Station and is held most often in the basketball arena. When we are unable to have it there, they have it in the campus auditorium and on some special occasions they will have it in our football stadium! It is such a great ministry that I look forward to going to each week. I feel extremely blessed to have this at my school, but you can also podcast the talks given by Ben Stuart at Breakaway Ministries Podcast

Breakaway


I started explaining to Ann the conference I went to at the very first of the year, Passion. It's a conference for 18-25 year olds held each year in Atlanta, Georgia. It was life changing for me. (After I went I decided to use my degree, Industrial Distribution, to help people in one way or another. I'm not sure what this looks like exactly, it could possibly be working in the humanitarian or non-profit sector. I took a class this last semester called Humanitarian Distribution Networks and there seems to be a lot of opportunities there for me to pursue. I have faith that the Lord will place me where I can best be used, but this next year will involve A LOT of prayer concerning that it be made clear to me!)  I showed Ann some videos and she was astounded that so many people (over 42,000 students) were gathered for something centered on Jesus and not a sporting event or concert. The conference was also bringing awareness to modern day slavery. There are 27 MILLION slaves on the earth today, more than there have ever been in the history of humanity. You can click HERE to see more of what Passion stands for.

Passion 2012 Glimpse Video

'How Great is Our God' World Edition

I just purchased my ticket to Passion 2013, which starts on New Year's day. I am beyond excited to go back and hopefully take some people with me that haven't had the chance to go! I highly recommend looking into going, and if you are unable to everything is available via the live video feed they have running throughout the whole conference. If you want to look more into going to Passion 2013 click HERE


As for blogs, I read one called Kisses From Katie. It is about a girl who is right around my age who moved to Uganda for a short 10 month commitment and has ended up living there permanently and adopting 14 girls. Go read by clicking HERE,  and I promise you will be inspired and convicted! 

Kisses from Katie


My mom's cousin, JW, has just shared his blog with me and I encourage you to go see the work that he is doing in Haiti! You can find the website HERE

JW's good friends run Faith Channel, which is basically a website bringing hundreds of Christian resources on the web together. Looks like you could spend hours on here watching videos and sermons!


The following video was shown to me about a month ago. This couple sets a great example and hopefully one day I will have a marriage that is based on Christ's love like theirs!

Ian and Clarissa's Story


Some other great podcasts include:







Hopefully one of these leads you to a message that you need to hear! There are so many good resources out there for us to use to strengthen ourselves and in turn, God's kingdom. Challenge yourself to be in the Word more than just at church on Sunday. 

"Blessed are those whose way is blameless,
who walk in the law of the Lord!
Blessed are those who keep his testimonies,
who seek him with their whole heart,
who also do no wrong,
but walk in his ways!
You have commanded your precepts
to be kept diligently.
Oh that my ways may be steadfast
in keeping your statutes!
Then I shall not be put to shame,
having my eyes fixed on all your commandments.
I will praise you with an upright heart,
when I learn your righteous rules.
I will keep your statutes;
do not utterly forsake me!"
-Psalms 119:1-8

No comments:

Post a Comment