Friday, June 8, 2012

Bravo!

It has been such a successful trip thus far and I think a lot of that is due to the fact that everyday we have something different planned. Today Nadya had a voice lesson and Ann talked to the teacher in advance to see if we could sit in for the hour and she was happy to let us watch. Nadya's teacher is a very well known singer in Zaporozhye. The lesson is held in a building used for recitals, music contests, singing, acting, dancing, painting, music therapy, yoga and other art classes. The teacher had fresh flowers and natural light from the windows to make it more of a light environment. Nadya started off with voice exercises and then went into practicing songs that she will have the chance to record! It was very enjoyable to watch, especially because I have zero talent when it comes to singing (except when I'm in the car or shower, of course). Out of the songs she sang, a couple were "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" by Elton John and "Hallelujah" by Rufus Wainwright, which I have heard before. She also sang a few in Ukrainian and Russian (they speak both). I was happy and surprised that Nadya allowed us to sit in on her lesson because she can be shy. She has a strong voice and was enjoyable to listen to!


After the lesson we stopped at a small shop where I purchased some hand painted plates. (I really need to stop buying things, but I love decorating so if I can envision a piece somewhere in my house I can't help but buy it! Each time I returned to College Station from Wichita Falls, my roommates knew that I would have something else to add to our decorations in the house and especially if it was around a holiday.) We returned back to the flat where Zoya had already prepared us lunch. She made us pancakes, which are similar to our pancakes, except for they are rolled like a burrito and can contain sweets like jam, or a type of meat. She also made syrniki again, which has become one of my favorites.

Then Ann and I got ready to head to Eugenia's play. It was exciting for me because it was something new, and for Ann because she hadn't yet seen this play of his. Ann's cousin, Zlata, met us there. Sometimes I will be saying something in English and she will somehow understand and vice versa. Ann is always surprised when we know what each other is talking about, and so am I.




It was a Greek tragedy written by Sophocles called "Antigone; Dreams." Because the play would be performed in Russian, I read the synopsis before we left so I could have a better understanding of what was going on. Eugenia had the main role as Creon. I was able to fall along very easily. I even asked Ann a question during intermission and figured out that I knew more of what was going on than her! We laughed about it and she said that she couldn't let Eugenia know that she was more lost than me. The play was written to be performed in front of a small audience, so we were in a smaller theater with only 36 people in the audience. After the play we went to Eugenia's dressing room and met some of the cast and the director. He asked what I thought of the play and after Ann translated you could tell he was very pleased. I said that although I couldn't understand what they were saying, I could still follow along perfectly, which shows the talent in both the actors and the director.



Eugenia added the crown

Acting!

It was a very enjoyable day and evening getting to see what Nadya and Eugenia love so much to do. They were both extremely talented and I am thrilled that I could have the chance to see both of them perform! Tomorrow will be full of rest and time to read before we head out to the circus!

I had these verses in my quiet time the other morning and felt like I should share with y'all:

In his grace, God has given us different gifts for doing certain things well. So if God has given you the ability to prophesy, speak out with as much faith as God has given you. If your gift is serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, teach well. If your gift is to encourage others, be encouraging. If it is giving, give generously. If God has given you leadership ability, take the responsibility seriously. And if you have a gift for showing kindness to others, do it gladly. 
Don't just pretend to love others. Really love them. Hate what is wrong. Hold tightly to what is good. Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring each other. Never be lazy, but work hard and serve the Lord enthusiastically. Rejoice in our confident hope. Be patient in trouble, and keep on praying. When God's people are in need, be ready to help them. Always be eager to practice hospitality.
Bless those who persecute you. Don't curse them; pray that God will bless them. Be happy with those who are happy, and weep with those who weep. Live in harmony with each other. Don't be too proud to enjoy the company of ordinary people. And don't think you know it all!
Never pay back evil with more evil. Do things in such a way that everyone can see you are honorable. Do all that you can to live in peace with everyone.
Dear friends, never take revenge. Leave that to the righteous anger of God. For the Scriptures say,
“I will take revenge;
I will pay them back,”
says the Lord.

Instead, 

“If your enemies are hungry, feed them.
If they are thirsty, give them something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap
burning coals of shame on their heads.”

Don’t let evil conquer you, but conquer evil by doing good.

-Romans 12:6-21 



No comments:

Post a Comment