Monday, June 4, 2012

Cossack Village

After a good night's rest, we woke up, had breakfast, and began getting ready for the day. The four of us took a taxi to Khortytsia island to a replica of a Cossack village. It was about a twenty minute drive to the other side of the Dnieper River and into the national park.Cossacks originated between the 14th and 15th centuries and were made up of semi-military communities. We arrived an hour before the performance and were able to save front row seats for the show and then take pictures around the village. They had a small house with different military weapons and uniforms, a blacksmith workplace, a dining hall with different tools they used for tasks around the village, and stands set up in a courtyard selling souvenirs. I was able to purchase a few more items to finish off what I will spend for the rest of my time here in Ukraine. I keep forgetting that I have two countries to go and not an unlimited amount of luggage space!
Traditional Cossack woman's dress

Inside a traditionally decorated Cossack house

The Blacksmith

We sat down for the show a few minutes before it started. There were about 300 people in the audience and it was more of a comedic performance than what I was expecting. Ann translated when they told jokes, so I was late to laugh along with everybody else which probably made me look strange. The performance was a group of Cossack warriors coming back from a victorious battle. They showed off horse riding skills, tricks with a whip, and techniques with a sword. I am unable to load videos but this series of photos shows an idea of what one of the tricks would be.











It lasted about 45 minutes and was entertaining the whole way through. It was Nadya's second time to go because she had been with her school, and both Eugenia and Ann's first time. After the show you were able to go and ride the horses and take pictures with the Cossack's. This was Nadya's first time to ride a horse! Before she got on there was a spider on her (one of her biggest fears) so she was very upset, but after she rode the horse she was grinning from ear to ear and saying "I am so happy!"

Cossack warrior with traditional haircut

We were about to leave the Cossack village when I noticed some circular rugs. They weren't for sale, but we asked a worker if I would be able to purchase them and the owner okayed it. I was expecting to pay more than $15, but she offered them for only fifty Hrivnyas each (less than $7) so I purchased two and will use them in my bedroom. Later in the day Ann told her mother that I purchased some of these rugs and she started gathering old dresses and clothes that we could use for scraps, so when we go to the dacha in a few days she will teach me how!




  After leaving the island, we went to the center of the city where many painters display their works and sell them for very cheap. Ann and I returned today and I purchased five or six different pieces. One of the painters warned me about going through customs with a large painting because you have to have documents showing that it wasn't stolen. These documents take about a week to get after going to several different buildings to register the painting. The painter said that smaller pieces should be okay because they are more like souvenirs.



We got back to the flat in time for a late lunch. Ann cooked us vareniki which is similar to homemade ravioli with mashed potatoes inside of a pasta shell with a mushroom sauce, borsch soup, and kompot to drink. (I'm doing a post with what all of these are and the recipes for each!) Ann showed me a lot of the dried and frozen fruit they have from the dacha and explained how each of them are kept for winter months. For dinner we had Greek salad with tomatoes, cucumbers, cheese, green onions, corn, olives, chicken, and olive oil with garlic for the toppings. And for dessert we had homemade syniki with a dollop of sour cream and homemade apricot jam. YUM!


Dried apples




Today was more relaxed and I didn't wake up until just before ten. I think I am just about caught up on sleep! Ann and I went to see some sights around the city. We went to the WWII memorial where Ann explained how the Nazis occupied Zaporozhye (which is a big location for industries) from 1941 to 1943. Her grandfather worked in one of the factories that produced engines for fighter planes. When they got word that the Nazis were heading this way, they relocated East Asia to continue production during the war. His first wife was killed by the famine caused by Stalin's reign. It is now recognized as a genocide because it was the government's way of reducing the population.  Ann's grandmother's first husband was killed on the first day of battle in Zaporozhye to gain back power from the Nazis. Because I am my father's daughter, this time period in history is very interesting to me so I loved hearing the stories she has to tell.

Breakfast


The city clock tower

After coming back to the flat and watching Nadya learn how to make some more of her clay models, we had some lunch and rested for a while. The three of us then went out for an evening walk where we stopped at another WWII memorial of the actual tank that broke through the Nazi line. The commander of this tank and the others inside all died and are remembered for their bravery.




Between skyping with family, skyping with a friend who is in the midst of a tough time (who I mentioned in a previous post), receiving a message from a friend who is facing a lifetime decision, and chatting with another who has just been through a break up, I feel so extremely lucky to have technology like we do! Half way around the world and I am able give and receive advice from some sweet friends of mine! I sent a chat message on Facebook to see how a friend was doing after a break up and ended up venting to her about some struggles I was dealing with. So thankful to have caring, God-fearing friends that give the right advice at the right time and that challenge me to be a more faithful and intentional friend.

"...each time I mention you in my prayers, I thank God. I hear about your faith in our Lord Jesus and about your love for all of God’s people. As you share your faith with others, I pray that they may come to know all the blessings Christ has given us. My friend, your love has made me happy and has greatly encouraged me. It has also cheered the hearts of God’s people." -Philemon 1:4-7

Tonight Ann was showing me family pictures and while getting an album down from the top shelf a family portrait that Nadya drew fell and hit her in the eye! She asked me how it looked after moving a piece of ice from her eye, and with it swelling and turning red I replied "It doesn't look bad..." and she started laughing and said that is not a good compliment. We had a good laugh about it saying it was her family that hit her. We are hoping it won't swell and turn black by the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment