Monday, May 28, 2012

I made it!

After four long flights and a few moments where I wasn't sure if I would be sick or not, I made it with all of my belongings to Kiev, Ukraine! Ann, her mother, Zoya, and her daughter, Nadya (who is twelve and a half), picked me up at the airport. I was so relieved and excited to see them! It took a little while to sink in that I was actually here with them because my anticipation was so great. At the airport we ran into one of Ann's students who she hadn't seen since 2004 and had just come back from Columbia, South Carolina (Ann is an English professor at a university in Zaporozhye).

At the airport I went to an ATM, they call it a "bankomat", to withdraw some of the local currency which is Hryvnya (you pronounce how it looks) in case my card wouldn't work. Once I felt well enough we grabbed a taxi to take into central Kiev where our hotel is.


As I started unpacking I was pulling out gifts I had brought for their family, so I went ahead and gave Nadya hers. We bought her some multicolored crayons, a sock monkey, and Littlest Pet Shop toys. Also, I was able to bring her Christmas present that was stolen from their post office. She loves Harry Potter so my mom bought her a book that is from page to screen about how the movies were made. She has been waiting since Christmas to receive it so you can imagine her excitement!

Once I showered and got freshened up we went into the city's square which our hotel is on. The Euro Cup is being hosted by Ukraine and Poland so the city is decked out with soccer, or I should say futbol, signs and tents. We are leaving the day before it starts so we will miss the crowds that the Euro Cup will bring in.


 This is statue that tells how far different cities all over the world are from Kiev - the one that is 7828 km is "Washington"
I had my first Ukrainian meal that consisted of a soup made from beets, garlic bread that was more cold and with what tasted like pickle juice on top, chicken with cheese, and potato wedges. It was very good and Ann said we would go to a better quality Ukrainian restaurant tomorrow, so I am looking forward to that.

Nadya has been speaking English very clearly and I am trying to speak slower and more proper English so she can better understand what I'm saying. Ann gets on to Nadya when she doesn't speak in English.


We're back at the hotel now about to go to sleep and rest up for a day of touring tomorrow. The hotel doesn't have air conditioning, but we have a balcony so we will leave it open during the night for a cool breeze. I'm enjoying the sounds of the city and people. I am already having a great time and am excited to explore and learn about the city of Kiev. I feel very lucky to have Ann with me because she is so knowledgeable and can explain details that most tourists wouldn't notice.



No comments:

Post a Comment