Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Diagon Alley

My second day in the Ukraine started very early when I woke up at five in the morning and was unable to go back to sleep. It turned out to be a blessing because I had a sweet friend message me about a very difficult situation she is facing right now. It is amazing that we are able to use modern technology in such a positive way. Although I am half way around the world I am still able to send some words of encouragement. (Although I can't exactly share who my friend is, it would mean so much if you could send some prayers for peace and strength during this tough time for her.)

Even though I downloaded five books in anticipation for the long trip over here, I didn't ever read a single sentence on the way because I felt so sick. This morning I had time to start reading "Abba's Child" by Brennan Manning, a book that my uncle recommended. The first chapter was about how we tend to not love ourselves the way we should and that is what hurts us the most.

A few of the excerpts from the chapter:

"Our courteous Lord does not want his servants to despair because they fall often and grievously; for our falling doesn't hinder him in loving us."

“Surrender your own poverty and acknowledge your nothingness to the Lord. Whether you understand it or not, God loves you, is present in you, lives in you, dwells in you, calls you, saves you and offers you an understanding and compassion which are like nothing you have ever found in a book or heard in a sermon.”

"Self-rejection is the greatest enemy of the spiritual life because it contradicts the sacred voice that calls us 'Beloved.' Being the Beloved constitutes the core truth of our existence."

Needless to say, although it was an early morning, it was a very refreshing and much needed quiet time after being on the go for so many days. I look forward to continuing this book in mornings to come!

Ann and Nadya woke up around eight. We had breakfast at the hotel and went on our way to the underground rail station just outside of our hotel. I was surprised how far down the escalator took us. The rail station we will travel to tomorrow is the farthest underground rail system in the world. It was very fast paced and crowded. Ann has been very good at keeping and eye on me and making sure my bag is protected from the many pickpockets in the city. We went a few stops to get to a market area where bus tours started. We were 45 minutes early but decided to wait on the bus to make sure we had good seats. I had my iPad with me so we passed the time taking pictures on photo booth. iPads are more advanced here and aren't as common so it was fun watching them enjoy something as simple as taking pictures and videos.



Once the bus tour started, Ann was able to translate what the tour guide was talking about. Although it was in the 70s outside, the bus became extremely hot and stuffy because they wouldn't use the air conditioning. Ann said this was very common because people will do whatever they can to save money. Our first stop was at an all female monastery where there are still practicing nuns who live there and young girls who are students there. Although it was in the middle of the city it felt like it was somewhere back in time with no city noise to drown out the serene atmosphere. No vehicles have ever entered the grounds of the monastery, which makes it hard to imagine how much more difficult it made it to do construction that way. There was a nun there who placed oil on our foreheads which was a sign of protection and a blessing.




Once we left the monastery we hit a lot of traffic, so we were very relieved once we got to a point close enough to walk back to the hotel. We ate lunch at McDonald's and then I went back to the room and took a long nap. We skyped with my mom and Yvonne while they were at work and told them about our day so far. (I don't know how they actually get work done being in the same office as each other haha).

We decided to head to dinner where I got to try some more Ukrainian food. After dinner we started our walk back to the hotel and the weather was perfect to be in. The atmosphere was so enjoyable and relaxing. They have closed down one of the main streets that runs in front of Independence Square (where our hotel is located) for the Euro Cup so it's quieter and more enjoyable without all of the cars. There were a couple of bands playing with people sitting to watch. The fountains in the square were lit up and synchronized to music, so we sat and enjoyed watching those for a little while. Afterwards we went and got some ice cream and went back to the hotel.



After we got to bed, Ann and I stayed awake talking about her time in America, which she remembers so vividly. She was telling me about a time that she baby sat my brothers and I, how she thought my Uncle Bert's name was "Bird", spending time at Possum Kingdom, and a summer vacation to Florida. She went on to ask about each member of my family and even all of my moms cousins and second cousins. She said that instead of reading bedtime fairy tales to Nadya, that she read her journal that she kept when in America and wrote every detail in, so all of these memories are vivid in her memory.

Today we have spent walking around in the city and finding souvenirs. I was able to get good keepsakes for myself and just about all of my gifts for family and friends. Instead of going on any tours, we walked through some of the city and down a historical street that they are in the process of renovating. This is where St. Andrews is said to have visited and built this church. The cathedral is built in a Baroque style.

St. Andrew's Cathedral
St. Andrew's Street


Nadya is becoming less and less shy, but Ann still has to encourage her to speak in English. Ann and I will have a conversation and after we finish talking Nadya will repeat back everything we said to Ann in Ukrainian. So although she understands, she doesn't yet have the confidence to speak English all of the time.

Ann is very interested in different slang and sayings that I use because it isn't anything in textbooks that she can teach. Phrases and words such as spic and span, LOL (laugh out loud) , gal, BFF (best friends forever), and stuck up were all new to her. Also, when I was redoing my ponytail I asked if I had any bumps, and she said that they call them "roosters".

We got on my iPad to find the location of a restaurant to see how far the walk would be and then went on to find Wichita Falls on google maps. We put it on satellite view so you could see houses and showed Nadya the places Ann was when she was there for a year. Then we got on Facebook and looked through different albums with family and also taught them about Deb and the traditions that go along with it.

The button to the elevator in the lobby is pointed upwards at a slant, so I joked with Nadya that it is the way to Diagon Alley. In the Harry Potter movies they transport to a place called "Diagon Alley", which is easily confused with "diagonally" and if said wrong, it will take you to a different place. So every time we push the button she laughs and says "Diagonally!" in her precious accent.


We continued shopping after dinner. A lot of shops are underground one level and are so small that you just look through the glass windows and don't enter. After you purchase something you pay the person through a small window. I assume it is this way for safety and to save money on rent. This underground passage way is also how most pedestrians travel so they can avoid crazy drivers. While I was purchasing a t-shirt from one of these shops, Ann translated for me. After I made the purchase Ann told me that the lady selling the shirts was saying that she could tell I was American because she felt a good energy and kind spirit. Ann said that many people feel this way about Americans.

Flower shops are all over the place
Traditional Ukrainian singers

Nadya is in a singing class and they mentioned to me that it would be helpful if I could find an American song for her to sing that was youthful. We spent about an hour going through my iPod listening to different artists. Every time Ann asked what genre a song was it would be country, so she said "I love country music!" Nadya's final choice was "The Show" by Lenka that was made popular in the movie Moneyball. We pulled up the lyrics and she is starting to learn the tune. I think by the end of the trip she will have it memorized and I will get a recording of her performing.

Tomorrow we have a lot planned for our last completely free day in Kiev. I am especially excited for the plans they have made for me in Zaporozhye between a play, symphony, circus, one of Nadya's rehearsals, and a very traditional Ukrainian ceremony.

Please be praying for my grandfather who has been having severe back and leg problems. He goes in for another doctor appointment on Thursday and then could possibly have surgery on Friday which would be ideal.

I am so thankful to be here learning about their culture and taking in so many new sights. It is truly a trip that I will always remember and the best is yet to come! Hope all is well half way around the world!

My heart, O God, is steadfast;
I will sing and make music with all my soul. -Psalm 108:1

No comments:

Post a Comment